Though I’ve never been too keen on ‘food holidays’, filling my agenda to the brim with the likes of funnel cake festivities and jelly bean joviality, it would be a public disservice not to pause and take note of today’s mealtime merriment – Happy National Watermelon Day (!). One of my very favorite summertime bites (with ripe nectarines, sweet yellow corn, and piping warm brambleberry crisps filling the ranks), these heaping melons not only pack a wonderfully messy, sweet-tooth quenching, picnic packed punch, but are wildly nourishing as well.
Here’s Why You Should Be Munching
• watermelon contains nearly one-quarter of your daily recommendation of Vitamin A. Thought to keep skin and hair moisturized as well as encourage the healthy growth of new collagen and elastin cells – HELLO glowing skin!
• watermelon is rich in the phytochemical and red carotenoid pigment lycopene, known to help reduce our risk of heart attacks and certain types of cancers, most notably prostate cancer.
• watermelon is an abundant source of the amino acid L-citrulline, known to help relax blood vessels, reducing blood pressure and improving our circulation. Studies have found consuming watermelon pre-workout (in the form of thirst quenching watermelon juice) may reduce next-day muscle soreness. I’ll toast to that!
Have Your Watermelon & Eat It Too
• taking all of our summertime favorites, heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, and juicy watermelon, then wrapping them into my perfect meal, this very simple, wonderfully refreshing, and truly life giving salad is lightly dressed with a glug of olive oil and a few squishes of fresh lemon juice, then elevated further with whole halves of ripe avocado. You must make it!
• made with juicy watermelon, raw honey, and a few sprigs of fresh mint, this margarita epitomizes ‘the hard stuff’ with a healthful twist. Perfect for summer barbecues or your upcoming Labor Day weekend festivities, this naturally sweetened, but not too sweet seasonal sip is cooling and irresistibly fresh. Say hello to a slushy you can feel good about.
• watermelon in sippable form – need we say more!?
To sweeten the holiday even further, our friends at WTRMLN WTR are giving away a year’s supply of their must-sip cold pressed juice. An ultra-hydrating and nourishing bottle of juiced watermelon flesh and rind (+ a touch of lemon) be sure to enter enter enter .
Thank you WTRMLN WTR for sponsoring this post and thank you for reading!